Cellulite, a problem that has plagued women everywhere. In fact 90% of women 20 years and older will develop cellulite at some point in their life and it doesn’t discriminate, affecting people of all ages, shapes and sizes. While mostly a women’s problem affecting only 10% of men, it is something that many women want to addressed, so let’s do that. Before we get into the five tips to eliminate cellulite, you must first understand how our fat cells work and more importantly why it is more commonly found on a woman’s body.
In a hurry? Get my free download sent to your inbox
the simple detox guide
WHAT IS ADIPOSE TISSUE?
Adipose tissue, or fat, is an anatomical term for loose connective tissue composed of adipocytes (fat cells). The main role of this tissue is to store energy, in the form of fat but it also helps cushion and insulate our body.
Essentially our adipocytes are storage bins of energy to be used in time of need. Unfortunately because they are storage forms and safe ones at that, toxins are also able to bioaccumulate here when the body is bombarded with more than it can metabolize and excrete (5).
There are two types of adipose tissue, white adipose tissue and brown adipose tissue. We won’t get into too much of the difference but essentially they are opposites. Brown adipose tissue, found in highest concentration on those chubby babies is metabolically active. Breaking down molecules to be used as energy, producing heat. White adipose tissue is found in highest concentration on an adult’s body. It is the building or storage form (1).
Both contain endocrine functions, meaning the amount and type of fat plays a crucial role in hormonal functioning as well as enzymatic reactions. This includes your hunger and fullness cues within the body (2).
WHAT IS CELLULITE?
Cellulite is the bumpy, dimpled, orange peeled skin that shows up mostly around our behinds, abs and thighs. You know the dimpled skin that is only cute on a baby’s bottom? Who am I kidding, we all know what cellulite looks like.
Cellulite results from enlarged adipose cells that are deposited deep underneath the skin pushing up against the underlying connective tissue, epidermis and being exposed in our dermis or outer layer of skin. This upward pressure is what is causing the connective tissue and skin to push upwards creating the dimpled look. When multiple fat compartments expand, multiple hills emerge and now you have the moguls right there on your thighs.
A great portion of cellulite appearance deals with your body’s largest organ, your skin. The skin also gives us insight on why women are much more likely to develop it than men.
WHY MORE WOMEN GET CELLULITE THAN MEN
The anatomy and structure of men’s fat cells and skin anatomy is much different from a womans. First a male has a thicker epidermis than a female meaning there must be much more pressure from the fat cells to push up on the connective tissue and dermis to show signs in the epidermis. A males epidermis or outer skin is much more resilient to structural change.
Not only is the epidermis different but the structure of male and female adipose tissue (fat cells) are fundamentally different. I’ve created some graphics to better explain this.
Male fat cells are smaller and more compact than females. Rather than growing vertically pushing up on the connective tissue and dermis, they tend to grow horizontally creating a more even tone. Essentially male fat cells end up being one big solid blob of fat, that has a minimal effect externally as opposed to the rippling effect of female fat cells.
Female fat cells are more oblong and as they overflow they have no choice but to expand vertically. At this point the fat pushes upwards, putting massive pressure on the dermis creating the dimpled tone of the epidermis. Little resistance due to the skin tone allows these enlarged fat cells to show their appearance fairly quickly, even on the thinnest of females.
HOW TO ELIMINATE CELLULITE
While there are countless cellulite reducing creams and wraps on the market, none have been found to be successful in long-term cellulite reduction. Why? Because it has less to do with our skin and more to do with the size and number of our fat cells. Although important to keep our skin well nourished and healthy, many creams and wraps are counter-productive as they themselves contain toxic chemicals that leech through our skin and end up bioaccumulating in our fat cells. Mute point right? The reason they probably work in the short-term, is due to dehydration of the skin, pulling moisture making it look like you have “toned’ when in fact you have just temporary deflated via dehydrating the layers of the skin.
So if we put the creams and wraps aside we must instead deal with the fat cells themselves. While we can’t reduce the number of fat cells we can shrink them or deflate them as you would a balloon.
Ready to get started? Get my free download sent to your inbox
the simple detox guide
FIVE WAYS TO ELIMINATE CELLULITE
1. Increase circulation – Poor circulation increases your risk for developing cellulite by not providing adequate blood flow to mobilize the fat stores. There are a number of ways that we can increase circulation. First is to move. Exercise gets your heart pumping which gets your blood flowing. Moving often and regularly is a key in fighting off cellulite. Another key factor is to try to avoid tight-fitting clothing or underclothing, especially around the midsection. Tight clothes, pants and underpants that restrict are also restricting blood flow making you more prone to cellulite.
2. Mobilize Lymphatic Fluid – Lymph build-up makes cellulite appear worse by creating a “clog” not allowing the toxins and unneeded nutrients from being excreted as waste. This allows unwanted particles to build-up in fatty tissue. Exercise and massage are effective at moving lymphatic fluid as dry brushing the skin to circulate the lymphatic fluid which has no central pump.
3. Dietary Changes – Cellulite is a result of the increase in size of adipocytes caused by an increase in fat forming foods as well as toxic build-up. While there are numerous dietary changes that can and should be made, the main goal would be to convert your body from a sugar-burning, fat storing state to a fat-burning phase. This can be done through the reduction of sugary, overly processed foods and carbohydrates and an increase in healthy fats (6).
4. Detoxification – Our adipocytes are storage molecules, mostly storing fatty acids but also toxins. Toxic build-up is a harmful position for your body to be in and when the liver is in overdrive, the toxins back up and your body places them in fat cells to be stored until they can be dealt with. A good, wholesome total body detoxification program can be beneficial in the shrinkage of adipocytes and fatty tissue via the removal of toxic substances (4).
5. Increase Collagen – Collagen is the main protein found in structural connective tissue. A great way to reduce the occurence of cellulite is to consume more collagen which increase the strength of the connective tissue. The stronger the connective tissue the more resistance it can put on the fat cells preventing them from pushing up creating the cellulite appearance (7).
While there is no magic wand, cream, wrap or paste for getting rid of cellulite, there are plenty of natural healthy methods to reduce the appearance and occurrence of cellulite. These remedies deal with the fat cells themselves. To beat cellulite you have to get to the root of the issue and that is what is happening hormonally in the body via what you put in your body and how you treat it.
It’s simple, small changes you choose to make with joy and confidence creating a new normal, a new you. It’s about choosing quality over quantity, life giving nourishments over counting and ending the fear, regret and negativity you have towards your body.
It’s one change after another all in the direction of health. It’s a declaration of a new way of life, not a quick fix or chasing something that doesn’t last.
The bottom line, it’s getting rid of the junk, the things that clog you up, overcoming your need for convince or treating yourself with things that only wreck havoc. It’s choosing a cleaner way of eating, of living and learning to love the way you feel.
Do you want more specifics? Good I got them for you. Make sure you download my free detox guide loaded with 20 detox foods you should be eating, my five detox secrets, a toxic quiz, detox waters and of course 10 healthy cleanse worthy recipes.
Get the free guide by clicking on the button below and make sure you leave a comment and let me know what small change you’re going to make.