I know, the honey butter is the icing on the cake if you ask me. But seriously, it’s all the goodness in what we call the best cherry rhubarb cobbler with honey buttered biscuits. It’s a mouth full but a delicious one so just keep chewing on it.
Plump sweet cherries plus tart crisp rhubarb with a flaky honey buttered biscuit on top and it’s like you have the perfect cross between a shortcake and a cobbler.
Ahhhh… I love this time of the year.Not to mention fruity sweets is my weakness. For some people it’s chocolate or cheesecake but for me it’s all things fruit + dessert! I can’t get enough and generally have a hard time turning it down. Think pie, crisp, turnover, you know, just all of the deliciousness of the food world.
But what’s even better, this recipe is versatile. If you don’t care for cherries or even have them on hand you can swap them out for something else like strawberries. This recipe allows you the freedom to mix and match fruit choices to find a pair that fits your liking.
It’s full of health, free of refined products, made with natural sweeteners and only the best fats. While I still say this is a dessert, which means eaten in moderation, I’m not about to say don’t eat dessert. Just choose wisely and make the healthiest of options so you too can enjoy a slice of goodness this spring.
I mean it’s just real life and living but in a respectable way to our body. So here’s to sunshine, green grass and the best cherry rhubarb cobbler with honey buttered biscuits!
- 1 batch buttery grain free biscuits
- 3 cups sweet cherries (I used frozen)
- 3 cups rhubarb, diced into 1" sections
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (or honey)
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- juice from ½ orange
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Make biscuits and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl add cherries, rhubarb, coconut sugar, orange zest, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and orange juice.
- Mix well and place in a cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, remove and add biscuits and cook for an additional 2-5 minutes.
- Whip honey with butter and add to the top of each serving.