This happens to be one of our favorite recipes in our house. Like so good apparently we are unaware of how much of it we can eat. You see I was working late one afternoon and had put this on the stove to simmer while I was away. My husband was at home with the girls and I told him to go ahead and eat without me, still as always assuming there would be some left for me when I got home.
I was eagerly awaiting this on my drive home and as I ran into the house plopped my stuff down and grabbed a bowl and these Buttery Grain Free Biscuits, I went to the pot of soup and realized I could see the bottom. Did you hear that? I could see the bottom! I gasped and looked at my hubby. Here’s how the conversation went.
“Umm, did you eat all the soup or did you put it away?”
“Uh, no I left some for you in the pot.”
Scraping the pan I said, “Did you eat all of it.”
“Well I had two bowls, it was really good.”
“Like two heaping bowls because there is not much left?”
“Hmmm, I must have I just couldn’t stop eating it. I mean I didn’t think I ate that much but maybe.”
“Well apparently you did…. I guess, I’m glad you liked it….”
No biggy really, I wasn’t that hungry anyways, NOT! I managed to scrape enough up to cover the biscuit at least. It was really that delicious. Lesson learned, next time make a double batch.
Hope your family enjoys it like we do. If not, I can message you my address to drop your leftovers off. Apparently it won’t go to waste here.
- 1 small onion
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into ½” cubes
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup string beans or peas (frozen)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I used leftover chicken)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cream or almond milk (dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder + 2 tablespoons water, optional
- Add all ingredients, except arrowroot powder & water, to the slow cooker or dutch oven. Cover and cook on low until carrots and potatoes are tender.
- The last 30 minutes of cooking time, combine arrowroot powder and water, stir.
- Cover and continue cooking until thickened up.