Gingerbread for the sake of December, Peppermint for the sake of Christmas, white chocolate for the sake of white chocolate and just so we can stand at the kitchen counter and shovel in as many pieces of the spiced gingerbread flatbread, with crunchy peppermint pieces, all doused in white chocolate as we can. With class of course…excuse me as I wipe off the crumbs of white chocolate off my face. –>AHEM<–
It’s the holidays and that means holiday baking. I’m a sucker for it, hence why this blog is about to be exploded with holiday goodies. Oh someone help us! Don’t worry, I’ve thrown in a few recalibration recipes to keep you or should I say your waist line in check this holiday season. The key to baking and enjoying the goodies you bake is to make them healthy. Can those words even go together? Of course, this lifestyle has to be fun otherwise you just won’t do it.
Here’s the secret to holiday baking….wait for it…..wait for it…. less sugar more spice! The more spices you use, the less sugar you need. It is a balance of providing lots of flavor with a touch of sweetness. This is how you enjoy holiday baking without the bulge of you pants. Sounds fantastic right? That and a good ol’ amount of healthy fats will leave you satisfied!
So stop depriving yourself, stop setting yourself up to fail. The reality, you are going to eat sweets this holiday season, you are going to over indulge, it.is.going.to.happen. Just don’t let it win. Set yourself up to win this battle. Know you are going to eat something sweet, it is a part of the Holidays ya’ll. Make something healthy-sweet (ahem, more spice, less sugar), eat a little, give away the rest, feel satisfied not deprived and continue with your normal routine….repeat.
The more you deprive, the more you will give-in, really over indulge and feel the bulge in your pants. Tis the season for a little healthy holiday baking. Stay tuned I have lots ahead. Do you want a sneak peak? No…I shouldn’t…are you begging? Okay maybe just a few hints at what is to come; sticky…orange glazed…streusel…caramel…trifle…crinkle…it’s coming, it really is so stayed tuned.
Pssst….you have a little drool you may want to wipe up….Happy
Friday Holiday Baking!
- 1 cup Tapioca Flour
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup warm water
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 6 oz white chocolate
- 6-8 peppermints crushed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place baking stone in the oven while it preheats.
- Meanwhile, mix Tapioca Flour, ¼ cup Coconut Flour, Flaxseed Meal and Salt and spices in a bowl.
- Add olive oil to a large measuring cup and then add warm water and sugar. Add eggs to this mixture and slightly whisk until mixed.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Add additional coconut flour as needed. It should end up being a very sticky dough that can be flattened with a spatula.
- Let sit a few minutes to let coconut flour absorb water.
- Pour onto parchment paper and spread with spatula to ¼-1/2 inch thick, making as many flatbreads as you would like.
- Carefully place parchment paper on pizza stone and bake 8-12 minutes or cooked through but still soft.
- Remove and let cool.
- Meanwhile melt chocolate in a double broiler and drizzle all over the crust.
- Top with crushed peppermint and let set.
- Cut and Enjoy!