Heeellllooo Meatball or should I say meatballs?
Feast your eyes upon the most delicious meatball sub ever.
->INSERT DROOLING NOW<-
I know I say it often but you guys this is my absolute most favorite recipe on this site to date, and I’m not even a meatball fan. Between the savory, moist meatballs slathered in marinara sauce coated in melted cheese and sprinkled with fresh basil, all squished between the ultimate (grain-free) flatbread, words cannot describe.
I have to say that this is the very reason I find a thrill in recipe creation. To take those typically ‘unhealthy’ foods and make them healthy and most importantly delicious. It’s a thrill… and I know that is disgustingly nerdy in a foodie kind of way. But regardless of how nerdy this is you must make this today.
Seriously though, this encompasses my mission in life. To help you live a healthier (and happier) life through realistic changes that can be achieved for life. To end the diet traps, get rid of the lies and overcome the fear of food. To make healthy eating and nutrition simple.
It’s not about rice cakes and raw lettuce. Life is more than just sipping water and feeling hungry. Life is meant to be enjoyed and part of enjoying life is enjoying food. Good, wholesome nutritious food that fuels your body. Food provides life. It is the foundation of every working function in your body, the core of our nutrient bank and the livelihood of our mental wellbeing.
Say it with me… “Food is meant to be enjoyed.”
And I guarantee you will enjoy this meatball sub. I back that statement 100%. But let’s be honest, what’s not to enjoy about meatballs slathered in sauce and cheese. No objections? I didn’t think so. In the case of my kids, the meatballs didn’t make it to the sandwich. Apparently they were good all on their own because they wiped me out clean.
The bottom line:
- The meatballs are delicious all on their own, they are just amazing with all the extra on top.
- Talk about a good freezer friendly recipe, these meatballs are definitely freezer quality.
- A sandwich you guys, A SANDWICH. It happened and I am loving every bit of missing it for the last 2 years.
Can someone possibly gush any more over meatballs?
Possibly, but instead of hearing another 101 reasons why you need this meatball sub in your life, lets just end it with this.
Leave a comment and let me know what are your top three thoughts when you think about nutrition.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- ½ cup flax meal
- 2 eggs, whisked
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add butter and saute onion and garlic until translucent
- Remove and add to a bowl.
- To the onion mixture add the sausage, beef, oregano, flax meal, whisked eggs and salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Shape into balls slightly smaller than a golf ball.
- Add meatballs to a hot skillet and rotate until cooked through. Set aside and repeat until all meatballs have been cooked.
- Meanwhile make the flatbread shaping into small circular bun shapes.
- Once the flatbread is done, top with cooked meatballs, marinara, cheese (optional), and place back in oven to melt the cheese.
- Once melted remove and top with fresh chopped basil and another flatbread.