There’s a crisp in the air.
You know, you feel it too. Are you just not ready to admit it?
Let’s just get the elephant out of the room and let me tell you, I love fall. The cool air, big sweaters, boots, candles and warm meals cooked in one big ol’ pot of pumpkin chili cornbread casserole. Don’t deny it, you love it to. And if by chance we only live in the present, not thinking about what comes next it really is the best time of year.
Tis the season for pumpkins.
I’d like to tell you that this is the first pumpkin meal I’ve created but the truth is we’ve been eating my grain free pumpkin bars for weeks. I may have even decorated for fall the last week of August. Is that too early?
It was time for a change.
So pumpkins it is. Combine that with some hearty chili topped with the best moist cornbread ever (like no joke and made with real cornmeal ->I KNOW!<- this new life is pretty stinkin’ amazing). Okay but seriously that cornbread and this thick hearty chili that is slightly sweet to bring it all together. Life in a dish would be this.
Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, it does!
This is what we call a new combo of leftovers. Leftover chili thickened with pumpkin and topped with two-day old cubed cornbread. Even if you didn’t have leftover chili it would still be a 30 minute meal. Isn’t it impressive what you can do with leftovers?
Tisk, tisk those of you who throw them away. I’m here to teach you convenient ways to use up those leftovers helping you to save time and money by cooking once and eating twice. ->SQUEAL<-
So start with that cornbread ->best decision ever<- and end it with this around a fire with a cozy blanket and a good movie. Oh and don’t forget your fall decorations and apple cider donut holes. Because it’s fall so you might as well live a little.
Pssst…. If you haven’t subscribed to my weekly newsletter you MUST do that today. I’m launching my first ever new weekly plan this week and you will want to make sure to get all the deetz on Monday. It’s all about time…. or maybe really good food? Agh, how about both? Save time, money and energy by signing up for my newsletter. I’m so excited I almost can’t contain the secret. But you’ll have to wait until Monday!
For now I’m getting back to my big bowl of pumpkin chili cornbread casserole…for breakfast. Of course I added an egg over easy. Now that I think about it, maybe you should add this to your weekly breakfast plan…. Now there’s an idea!
- Pumpkin Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 can black beans (rinsed)
- 1 can kidney beans (rinsed)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp honey
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- basil or cilantro (chopped)
- In a dutch oven brown beef, drain and set aside.
- Once that is finished add 1 Tbsp olive oil and chopped onion.
- Saute until tender.
- Meanwhile mix together the chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, pumpkin pie spice, and garlic powder.
- Add to onions when they are tender and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add in beef, tomato sauce, tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans and pumpkin puree.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes and add honey.
- Stir well and top with cubed day-old cornbread and sprinkle with parmesan cheese (optiona)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and garnish with chopped fresh herbs. Enjoy!