Our oldest daughter has been obsessed with grapefruit, like her new favorite food, could eat it all the time, obsessed. Multiple times a day she asks for one and eats the entire thing, minus the juice, that is my job that I happily take care of. But lets face it, one can only eat so many grapefruit without trying to spice it up a little. Or so I think. Our oldest didn’t take it so well. She asked me politely not to warm up her grapefruit. I proceeded to tell her how delicious it would be as she fell to the floor in panic as if she were never going to get a “normal” grapefruit again.
I continued, like a good mom would, in hopes that she would love it or at least like it and all would be well. I started by whipping the cream, which I knew would occupy her as she 1. Loves to help with this task (mostly to lick the beaters) and 2. Is also completely satisfied by yes unsweetened whipped cream or coconut cream. But really who isn’t?
It was a quick warm treat to have on another bitterly cold Friday afternoon. Plus the citrus made me dream of warmer months ahead.
You may be wondering how the story ends. Well she ate whipped cream and more whipped cream and more whipped cream and when my spiced citrus was done refused to even try it because she like grapefruit “just the way God invented it.”
I on the other hand greatly enjoyed it. But you must be warned, this is not a very sweet dessert at all but tasty none-the-less.
- 2 Grapefruit peeled and sliced
- 1 Orange, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Pinch of Ground Cloves
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream or Coconut Cream
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup (optional)
- In a medium bowl, add cream, vanilla and maple syrup.
- Using a hand mixer beat cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Peel and slice grapefruit and orange, set aside.
- Heat small skillet over low-medium heat and add butter.
- Once melted, add spices and stir until fragrant.
- Add pure maple syrup and let mixture thicken.
- Add citrus fruit and caramelize. Let cool slightly.
- Top whipped cream with warm, caramelized citrus and enjoy!