The hubs informed me that I’ve been posting a lot of salad recipes lately. He even went as far as to count them up and name them off. I’m not sure if this is a sign he’s totally over salads for supper or that he’s looking for more desserts. He secretly wishes this was a dessert blog, but I’m sure that you’re going to LOVE this Italian salad.
So apparently the word on the street is true. We’ve been making a lot of salads around these parts. But I have to say there wasn’t any complaining once his plate was piled high with this quick Italian salad with shredded chicken. And what he wouldn’t tell you is he took the leftovers the next day for his lunch leaving me with nothing. Obviously, he still likes salads, right?
But really I have to give props to my brother-in-law who first introduced me to this quick and easy weeknight dinner. It’s full of vegetables but more than that loads of flavor which is the key to getting more vegetables in your diet.
Speaking of vegetables, I am on a vegetable kick. Why? Because they should be the foundation of our diet and getting 10 plus servings a day is no easy feat. I previously wrote an article about how to get all the vegetables you need in a day and wanted to continue on that journey of simply making vegetables taste delicious.
I mean if they’re suppose to be the foundation of our diet, we better enjoy them right?
So a new mission, an existing mission, whatever you call it I’m on a mission to help us crave them. To want them day in and day out without hesitation. And while I doubt I can ever make a vegetable as enticing as a donut, anything to help them out is always going to be better, right?
So it’s back to the recipe board with this simple, healthy and very easy mixed Italian salad with shredded chicken.
It’s got all the goodies like;
- Red Onion
- Red Bell Pepper
- The Best Italian Dressing
I mean what isn’t their to love?
I think I’ll seal the deal with this statement, it requires no cooking. Nope, none. It’s finished right after a few dumps into the bowl and you have it. A delicious and healthy 10 minute week night meal.
How are you getting your vegetables in each day?
- Italian Lettuce Salad Blend
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ⅓ cup pistachios
- ½ a small red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup olives, sliced (green or black)
- ½ rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon honey, optional
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, Italian seasoning, honey, salt and pepper to a mason jar or bowl and shake or mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add lettuce blend, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, red bell pepper, pistachios, sliced onion, olives and shredded chicken.
- Mix well and pour dressing over salad.
- Toss again and serve.