There are no words.
Strawberries give me all the feels. Spring. Flowers. Warm Air. And finally the hope that winter is over and warmer weather is here to stay.
Spinach on the other hand gives me no feels. I’m not really sure how I feel about it other than the fact that I know how nourishing it is to every cell in my body. So it boils down to a value system, knowing that sometimes healthy food isn’t always my favorite but finding ways to make them edible and more than that, delicious.
I’d say this strawberry spinach salad did just that.
Sweet, savory, hearty and light all at the same time. Let’s be honest spinach, leafy greens, diet food is pretty bland, boring and unexciting. The nice thing the pop of strawberries, avocado, (healthy) ‘candied’ walnuts and that tangy poppy-seed dressing with or without a glazed chicken kabob could be the best meal you’ll pull off this spring.
I want it all of the time now.
Did I mention how quick it was? 10 minutes and that’s not a joke.
- Homemade dressing – check
- Homemade glaze – check
- Cut up produce – check
- Skewered chicken – check
- Grill – check
- Sunshine – check, check, check
The better news, this strawberry spinach salad is loaded with nutrients. Chopped spinach, strawberries, walnuts, avocado, chicken. It’s one of those too good to be true kind of meals and I know you’ll love it.
- 1 bunch fresh spinach (6 cups), chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Goat cheese crumbles (or feta), optional
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Poppy-seed dressing
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper
- Heat Grill.
- Mix glaze in a small bowl by whisking olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, honey, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut chicken in 1 inch cubes and skewer.
- Place on grill and once almost finished cooking brush with glaze.
- Meanwhile, chop spinach, slice strawberries and mix in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add butter, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Once just melted add walnuts, stir to coat, cook for 1-2 minutes and remove onto a plate to let dry.
- To make salad, add avocado, candied walnuts and cheese (optional) to spinach and strawberries, top with dressing and chicken.